FAQ's - Hawaiian Sawhorse Truck Rack
Free Shipping On Most Truck Racks To Most Areas!
The Hawaiian Sawhorse Rack is designed to carry cargo such as ladders, lumber, pipe, or watercraft.
( click on the question of your choice to see the answer )
- 1: Will the Hawaiian Sawhorse Rack fit my truck?
- The Hawaiian Sawhorse Rack consists of two sections, one mounted at the front and one mounted at the back of the bed. Each section consists of the metal leg and clamp assemblies supplied by U.S. Rack and you supply a wooden “cross-bar”. This cross-bar is typically cut from a standard construction grade fir 2 x 4 to a length appropriate to the width of the truck in accordance with the assembly instructions. When the rack is assembled the height at the top of a cross-bar made with a 2 x 4 is about 25-1/2 inches above the truck bedrail and provides at least 3 inches of clearance above a 22” high cab. If you have a taller cab such as the 26-inch tall Ford Super Duty or the Dodge Mega-Cab or just want more height above the cab, you can use 2 x 6 or 2 x 8 lumber for the cross-bar instead of a 2 x 4 and this will add 2 or 4 inches to the height.
- 2: Will the Hawaiian Sawhorse fit my newer model Toyota Truck?
- The later model Toyota trucks often have a rail that runs just below the bedrail on the sides and front on the inside of the bed. This is called the Toyota Deck rail system. All 2005 and later Tacoma’s and some 2007 and later year Tundras come with this rail system. The deckrail on the Tundra can be removed. The Hawaiian Sawhorse rack cannot be used when the Deck Rail system is installed, nor can it be used on a newer model Tacoma from which the Deck Rail has been removed.
- 3: Will the Hawaiian Sawhorse fit my newer model Nissan Truck?
- The later model Nissan trucks often have a rail that runs just below the bedrail on the sides and front on the inside of the bed. This is called the Nissan Utili-track system. Since 2004 some Titan and Frontier model trucks have been outfitted with this rail system. The Hawaiian Sawhorse rack cannot be used if the Utili-track Rail system is installed.
- 4: What is the Hawaiian Sawhorse used for?
- The Hawaiian Sawhorse Rack is a very versatile truck rack. It can be installed or removed in minutes without any drilling, can be located anywhere along the bedrails to carry loads of varying lengths, can be easily loaded with a fork lift, and will carry up to 300 lbs. of cargo. This rack is not just for carrying heavy loads, however. It is ideal for carrying canoes, kayaks, ladders and other lighter cargo. It can also be easily removed at the job site and employed as a sturdy sawhorse. The rack has four small cargo stops that can be rotated upward above the cross-bar to guide and help contain cargo. These may be easily rotated down below the top of the crossbar when the rack is being used as a sawhorse or when extra-wide cargo is being carried on the truck. Remember, since you determine how long you cut your 2 x 4, if you have a special need to carry cargo such as an extra-wide aluminum boat, you may make the cross-bar wider to meet your need.
- 5: What is the Hawaiian Sawhorse made of?
- The Hawaiian Sawhorse Rack is constructed of 4 sets of metal legs, bases, clamp assemblies, and all hardware necessary to assemble the rack with your 2 x 4 or other wooden cross-bars. The legs are 16 gauge 1-inch square tubes, which are welded to the bases in a bi-pedal configuration for strength and stability. The bases are formed from 14 gauge steel. The clamp assembly and cross-bar mounting plate are heavier gauge material. The exterior surfaces of these parts are then powder coated. All threaded parts are zinc plated or stainless steel. The high density polyethylene plastic used is in the end caps. High density rubbery pads are affixed to the bottom of the bases that rest on the bedrails and on the top of the clamp bottoms that make contact with the underside of the truck bedrails.
- 6: How does the Hawaiian Sawhorse attach to my truck and how secure is it?
- The Hawaiian Sawhorse Rack attached by clamping. An eye-bolt projects down through a tube in the base of the rack and connects to a threaded L-shaped clamp bottom. This part, which extends under and around the lip of the bedrail is drawn upward as the eye-bolt is tightened. This squeezes the bedrail of the truck between the clamp below and the base of the rack above. Because of the bi-pedal base, this structure is quite sturdy and stable in all directions. This rack will safely carry up to 300 lbs. of cargo when the load is evenly distributed.
- 7: How long does it take to mount the Hawaiian Sawhorse on my truck?
- When one is familiar with the rack, it can be installed in about 5 minutes. When it arrives in its shipping box the first time, please read the general and safety instructions carefully. First time assembly will require some additional time.
- 8: What keeps the rack from scratching my truck?
- The top of the truck bed rails, upon which the rack rests, are protected by rubbery pads on the bottom of the rack. The underside of the truck bed rail is contacted by a rubbery pad on the top of bottom part of the clamp.
- 9: Can I use my rack with a bed liner?
- There are many different types of bed liners. Spray-on bedliners offer no obstacle to installing the Hawaiian Sawhorse Rack. The rack can be used in any case where the clamp bottoms can hook around the lip of the bedrail and tightened against the bottom of the bed rail. The newer style under-the-rail bedliners work easily with the rack because they allow access to the bottom side of the bed rails. The older style over-the-rail bedliners, which are a single piece, will require that a slit or a hole be made in the bedliner. U.S. Rack offers a bedliner kit, consisting of a 2-1/2 inch hole-saw to make a hole plus 4 plastic caps to plug the holes again later, when the rack is removed.
- 10: What keeps someone from stealing the Hawaiian Sawhorse Rack from my truck?
- The vast majority of people who see a Hawaiian Sawhorse Rack on a pickup assume that it is bolted into the sheet metal of the truck. On close examination one can see that the rack is clamped on to the truck, however, the cross-bar is cut to fit your truck and so it will only fit a similar model truck. As of this day, U.S. Rack has not received a single report of the theft of a Hawaiian Sawhorse rack from a truck.
- 11: How do I tie cargo down to the rack?
- Eye-bolt loops are provided at the center of each of the four corner bases for use with ropes or ratchet straps.
- 12: Can I load cargo on my rack with a forklift?
- Yes. Simply ensure that the front and back portion of the rack are far enough apart to allow the forks of the lift to pass between them.
- 13: How long does it take to remove the Hawaiian Sawhorse from my truck?
- Once you are familiar with the Rack, you can remove each section in one minute or less.
- 14: How can I store my Hawaiian Sawhorse Rack?
- The Hawaiian Sawhorse can be stored on two wall hangers. U.S. Rack Wall Hangers are an optional accessory when purchased with a rack. They can be screwed into studs of your garage or other wall 32” apart. When hung, the rack fills a space only about 5 feet wide, 2-1/2 feet high and 1-1/2 feet deep. Optionally, the racks can be used as stands for kayaks or other items, as shown in the below photo, sent by a customer from the Hawaiian island of Molokai.
- 15: What color is the Hawaiian Sawhorse?
- The Hawaiian Sawhorse Rack is offered only in a mat black color. Many people paint the wooden cross-bar black or stain the wood to an attractive tone. It is also possible to notch the cross-bar to fit and transport canoes or other cargo.
- 16: How will the rack be shipped and how long will it take?
- U.S. Rack usually ships the day you place your order or on the next business day. U. S. Rack includes the cost of UPS shipping by ground within the continental U.S. within the price of the product. Ground shipping transit time within the continental U.S. usually takes 1 to 5 business days. If this time frame will not meet your needs, give us a call us. Express delivery is available upon request at an additional charge. Please call 888.877.2257 to request this service. The Hawaiian Sawhorse can be shipped by the U.S. Postal Service by Priority Mail or Parcel Post. This means that this rack can be shipped economically to Hawaii, Alaska or Puerto Rico. Express shipment to these states requires an additional charge.
- 17: Can I return the rack if I don’t like it?
- Yes. If for any reason you find that your U.S. Rack product is not what you want, simply call us within 30 days of purchase to get a return authorization number. We will then arrange to pick up the product from you. If there is nothing mechanically wrong with the rack a restocking fee of 15% of the total purchase price plus round trip ground shipping will be deducted from your refund. The rack should be returned in the original box and packaged in a way to prevent damage. Damage caused by improper packaging will require repair to return the rack to a condition where is can be re-sold, and will result in a refurbishing fee. If there is a mechanical defect with the product within one year, U.S. Rack will first attempt to fix the problem by shipping you a replacement part. If there is a defect which we cannot fix by replacing components, you may request a return, and we will not charge you restocking or shipping fees. We will then credit your card or send you a check for the appropriate balance.
- 18: What are the biggest advantages of the Hawaiian Sawhorse over other racks?
- The Hawaiian Sawhorse can be installed or removed in minutes without heavy lifting.
- It can be made extra-wide to handle extra-wide cargo.
- It can be used as a sawhorse at home or at the job-site.
- It can save fuel because you can take the rack off when you don’t need it.
- It can safely carry heavy loads of up to 300 lbs.
- It can be stored in a compact space or hung on the wall.
- The Hawaiian Sawhorse is a great DIY truck rack.
Product Quick Links listed Alphabetically
Product Quick Links
listed by Model Number
Features Common To Most Of Our Truck Racks
- Truck racks are easy to install or remove: In less than 10 minutes, one person can install any rack. (Overhead Ladder rack may take 2 people).
- No cutting or drilling is needed to install our truck racks: Reliable clamping systems secure each truck rack without drilling ugly holes in your truck bed rails. (The Overhead Ladder Rack may also be permanently mounted if drilling is preferred. Limited drilling required for Ladder and Canopy Racks.
- Perfect, padded fit: Adjustable span design fits most trucks....rubbery pads protect truck bed rails. (Overhead Ladder rack is built to customer specifications).
- Tough powder coat finish: Available in satin black.
- Compact storage: All truck racks disassemble easily and stores compactly anywhere. (The Overhead Ladder Rack disassembles into 3 pieces, the upper basket and 2 sets of legs).
- Warranty: U.S. Rack products are warranted for a full year. See warranty information.
- Easily order by phone:
U.S. and Canada: -
1.888.877.2257 ( 1.888.usracks )