Free Shipping on most racks to most areas!
The Rail Rack is an ideal rack for carrying kayaks, canoes, ladders, lumber, and so on. Listed below are some of the frequently asked questions on the Rail Rack.
( click on the question of your choice to see the answer )
- 1: Will the Rail Rack fit my truck?
- The Rail Truck Rack has two expandable cross-bars which telescope for trucks of different widths. It is designed to fit any pickup truck with conventional fleet side bedrails. This includes the vast majority of pickup trucks. The model 2007-2R Rail Rack is our standard height rack which is 26.5 inches as measured from the bedrail to the top of the cross bar. This is the right height for almost all trucks. The Ford Super Duty trucks and the Dodge Ram Mega Cabs have extra tall cabs, however, and require the model 2007-2XT Rail Rack, which measures 28.5 inches tall.
- 2: Will this truck rack fit my newer model Toyota Truck?
- The late model Toyota trucks often have an accessory rail that runs along and just below the top of the bedrails on the sides and front of the bed. This is called the Toyota Deckrail system. U.S. Rack is one of the only companies to adapt a truck rack to this rail system. Rail Rack models 2007-2TAC and 2007-2TUN are designed to attach with the use of special parts to the Tacoma or Tundra with deckrail system. For Toyota trucks without the deckrail system use Rail Rack model 2007-2R.
- 3: Will this truck rack fit my newer model Nissan Truck?
- The late model Nissan trucks often have an accessory rail that runs along and just below the top of the bedrails on the sides and front of the bed. This is called the Nissan Utili-track system. U.S. Rack is one of the only companies to adapt a truck rack to this rail system. Rail Rack models 2007-2FRT and 2007-2TIT are designed to attach with the use of special parts to the Frontier or Titan with Utili-track system. For Nissan trucks without the Utili-track system use Rail Rack model 2007-2R.
- 4: What is the Rail Truck Rack used for?
- The Rail Rack is a very versatile truck rack because it can be installed or removed in minutes without any drilling, because each part of the rack can be installed anywhere along the bedrails to carry loads of varying lengths, because the rack can be easily loaded with a fork lift and because it will carry up to 400 lbs of cargo. The Rail Rack is not just for carrying heavy loads, however. It is ideal for carrying canoes, kayaks, ladders and other lighter cargo.
- 5: What is the Rail Truck Rack made of?
- The standard Rail Rack is constructed of 8 major interconnecting tubular steel structural parts. The exterior surfaces of these parts have been powder coated for long service outdoors. All threaded parts are stainless steel. The high density polyethylene plastic used is in the end caps and a rubbery material is used to pad the only surfaces that the rack rests on. A high hardness rubber nub compresses against the bottom side of the truck bedrail with models 2007-2R and 2007-2XT, and metal inserts engage the accessory rail systems with other model racks.
- 6: How does Rail Rack Model 2007-2U attach to my truck and how secure are they?
- These models attach by employing a universal clamp system that is extremely strong and durable. A portion of this nearly invisible clamp extends down from the Clamp Box on the base of the rack. This clamp extends around the lip of the truck bedrail and then up behind the lip to contact the bottom side of the bedrail. When the clamp screw is tightened it draws the clamp up firmly. This squeezes the bedrail of the truck between the clamp below and the base of the rack above. To help protect painted surfaces of the truck and prevent slippage, the top of the clamp has a very hard rubber nub held in a steel casing and the bottom of the rack has rubbery padding. This truck rack will safely carry up to 400 lbs. of cargo when load is evenly distributed. See installation instructions at this link: Rail Rack
- 7: How do Rail Rack Models 2007-2TRA, 2007-2FRT attach to my truck and how secure are they?
- These models attach by employing inserts that are placed into either the Toyota deckrail or the Nissan Utili-track systems. Stainless steel screws bind the inserts, rails, and base of the rack firmly together. To prevent slippage the bottom of the rack has rubbery padding. Because the weight of the rack and its load rests on the bedrails of the truck rather than on the small accessory rail, there is no chance that the weight can press down to dislodge or break the accessory rails on the truck as might occur with another design. This truck rack will safely carry up to 400 lbs. of cargo when the load is evenly distributed. See installation instructions at this link: Rail Rack
RACK ON TRUCK BEDRAIL WITH TRACK INSERT
KNOBS TIGHTENED FIRMLY ONTO TRACK INSERTS
- 8: How long does it take to mount the Rail Rack on my truck?
- When you are familiar with the rack, it can be installed in about 5 minutes. When it arrives in its shipping box the first time, please read the installation instructions and safety warnings carefully. This will require some additional time.
- 9: What keeps the truck rack from scratching my truck?
- Rubbery pads on the bottom of the rack protect the top of the truck bedrails.
- 10: Can I use my truck rack in conjunction with a tool box?
- Yes. Since the base of the rack lies flat on the bedrail a cross-mounted or side-mounted tool box can sit on the base of the rack. In order to determine how wide a box will fit, measure the distance between the bedrails then subtract one inch from each side to account for the width of the Clamp Boxes on Models 2007-2R and 20007-2XT, or subtract ½ inch from each side to account for the inserts on other models.
RAIL RACK WITH CROSS-MOUNTED TOOL BOX
- 11. Can I use my truck rack with a bed liner?
- There are many different types of bed liners. Spray-on bedliners offer no obstacle in installing the Rail Rack. The rack can be used in any case where the bottom of the clamp can hook around the lip of the bedrail and tightened against the bottom of the bed rail. The newer style under-the-rail bedliners work easily with the Rail Rack because they allow access to the bottom of the bedrails. The older style over-the-rail bedliners, which were a single piece, will require that a slit or a hole be made in the bedliner. U.S. Rack offers a bedliner kit, consisting of a 2-1/2 inch hole-saw to make a hole plus 4 plastic caps to plug the holes again later, when the rack is removed.
- 12: Are other accessories available that will work with my Rail Rack?
- Yes. The Rail rack works with Malone Kayak and Canoe carriers.
See the accessories page.
MALONE KAYAK CARRIER ON RAIL RACK
CANOE LOADED ONTO RACK WITH CARRIER
- 13: What keeps someone from stealing the Rail Rack from my truck?
- The vast majority of people who see a Rail Truck Rack on a pickup assume that it is bolted to the bed of the truck because the clamp is not easily visible. However, in order to offer a higher security option for those who are concerned, U.S. Rack offers high security screws which include a keyed button-head cap screws and matching keyed Allen wrench as a separate option. When these screws are tightened the nut tubes cannot be turned and the rack cannot be removed.
- 14: Can I bolt the Rail Rack to my truck?
- One of the principle advantages of the Rail Rack is that it can be installed without drilling, however, some people may prefer to drill holes through the base of the rack and through the top or side of their bedrail and attach it. We recommend that if you choose to attach your rack by means of screws that you use multiple machine screws at least 3/8 inches in diameter in each base with a washer and nylon lock nut under the bedrail.
- 15: Can I employ only one half of the Rail Rack?
- Yes. People frequently use only one half of a Rail Rack mounted either at the front or the back of the bed. Some use half a Rail Rack mounted at the back of the bed when they place a roof rack on the top of their cab to carry extra long loads. Some use half a Rail Rack mounted at the front of the bed to stand up ladders or lumber against it to carry occasional loads for shorts distances. Often Rail Rack owners leave the front section mounted right behind the cab on all the time, and then mount the back section only when they have to carry loads that are too long to carry in the bed.
HALF RAIL RACK - MULTIPLE TIE-DOWN POINTS
- 16: How do I tie down cargo?
- A tie-down hook is provided on each leg of rack for use with ropes and 2 additional tie-down holes are also provided in the gussets at the top and bottom of each leg for anchoring the hooks on ratchet straps. This is a total of 12 tie-down points.
- 17. Can I load cargo on my truck rack with a forklift?
- Yes. Simply ensure that the front and back portion of the rack are far enough apart to allow the forks of the lift to pass between them.
- 18: Can the Rail Rack be placed anywhere along the bedrail?
- Yes. The Rail Rack can be located and moved easily by loosening the clamping system and then sliding it down the bedrail to a new location.
RAIL RACK IN CROSSBARS-SPREAD POSITION
RAIL RACK IN CROSSBARS-FORWARD POSITION
- 19: How long does it take to remove the Rail Rack from my truck?
- Once you are familiar with the truck rack, you can remove it in 5 minutes or less.
- 20: How can I store my truck rack?
The Rail Rack can be stored on two wall hangers. U.S. Rack Wall Hangers are an optional accessory . They can be screwed into studs of your garage or other wall 32” apart. When hung together, the front and back sections of the rack fill a space only about 5 feet wide, 2-1/2 feet high and 2 feet deep. The rack can also be disassembled and stored and carried in the Utility Bag (red or blue), which is an optional accessory. See figures below for both of these accessories.
- 21. What color is the truck rack?
- The standard Rail Rack is offered in black. The Rail Rack can be specially coated in white for an additional fee. Call U.S. Rack for a quote. . . .
1.888.877.2257 ( 1.888.usracks )
- 22. How will the rack be shipped and how long will it take?
- Most products shipped by U.S. Rack are delivered to the customer using standard FEDEX ground shipping. Transit time can take up to 5 business days. Processing time especially during the spring/summer season prior to shipping usually takes 1-9 business days after the order is received. However, this may vary so please assume it will take at least 9-14 days for delivery. If you have a certain date by which you must receive your rack, please contact us at 1.888.877.2257 so we can ensure that we ship it in time to meet your requirements. An extra fee may be required for expedited processing or delivery.
- 23. Can I return the rack if I don’t like it?
- Yes. If for any reason you find that your U.S. Rack product is not what you want, simply call us within 30 days of purchase to get a return authorization number. We will then arrange to pick up the product from you. If there is nothing mechanically wrong with the rack a restocking fee of 15% of the total purchase price plus round trip ground shipping will be deducted from your refund. The rack should be returned in the original box and packaged in a way to prevent damage. Damage caused by improper packaging will require repair to return the rack to a condition where is can be re-sold, and will result in a refurbishing fee. If there is a mechanical defect with the product within one year, U.S. Rack will first attempt to fix the problem by shipping you a replacement part. If there is a defect which we cannot fix by replacing components, you may request a return, and we will not charge you restocking or shipping fees. We will then credit your card or send you a check for the appropriate balance.
- 24. What are the biggest advantages of the Rail Rack over competing truck racks?
- The Rail Rack can be installed or removed and stored in minutes without heavy lifting.
- It has an expandable crossbar and can fit a variety of trucks.
- It's light weight, thus saving fuel, and can easily be removed when you don’t need it.
- It can safely carry heavy loads of up to 400 lbs.
- It can be stored in a compact space or hung on the wall.
- The Rail Rack is a great value. Compare prices. We believe you’ll be convinced.
Product Quick Links listed Alphabetically
Product Quick Links
listed by Model Number
Features Common To Most Of Our Truck Racks
- Truck racks are easy to install or remove: In less than 10 minutes, one person can install any rack. (Overhead Ladder rack may take 2 people).
- No cutting or drilling is needed to install our truck racks: Reliable clamping systems secure each truck rack without drilling ugly holes in your truck bed rails. (The Overhead Ladder Rack may also be permanently mounted if drilling is preferred. Limited drilling required for Ladder and Canopy Racks.
- Perfect, padded fit: Adjustable span design fits most trucks....rubbery pads protect truck bed rails. (Overhead Ladder rack is built to customer specifications).
- Tough powder coat finish: Available in satin black.
- Compact storage: All truck racks disassemble easily and stores compactly anywhere. (The Overhead Ladder Rack disassembles into 3 pieces, the upper basket and 2 sets of legs).
- Warranty: U.S. Rack products are warranted for a full year. See warranty information.
- Easily order by phone:
U.S. and Canada: -
1.888.877.2257 ( 1.888.usracks )