FAQ's - Windstreamer Truck Rack
Free Shipping on most racks to most areas!
Frequently Asked Questions on the Windstreamer Truck Rack. This rack is very versatile, perfect for both work and play. Its design allows for easy access and teardown. Learn more about this rack below.
( click on the question of your choice to see the answer )
- 1: Will the Windstreamer Truck Rack fit my standard side bed truck?
- The Windstreamer Rack is designed to fit any pickup truck with conventional fleet side bedrails. This includes the vast majority of pickup trucks. The model 2010-3FSR is our standard height rack which is about 25” inches high as measured from the bedrail to the top of the cross bar. This is the right height for almost all trucks. The Ford Super Duty trucks and the Dodge Ram Mega Cabs have extra tall cabs, however, and require the model 2010-3FST, and this model truck rack measures 27.5 inches tall.
- 2: Will the Windstreamer Truck Rack fit my newer model Toyota?
- The late model Toyota trucks often have a rail that runs on the inside of the bed along the bedrail on the sides and headrail in the front. This is called the Toyota Deck rail system. Windstreamer truck rack model 2010-TRA is designed to attach to the Toyota Tacoma or Tundra with deck rail system. For Toyota trucks without the deck rail system use model 2010-3FSR.
- 3: Will the Windstreamer Truck Rack fit my newer model Nissan?
- The late model Nissan trucks have an optional aluminum rail that runs on the inside of the bed along the bedrail on the sides and headrail in the front. This is called the Nissan Utili-track system. The Windstreamer truck rack model 2010-TRA is designed to attach to the Nissan Titan with Utili-track System. For the Nissan Frontier with track system use model 2010-FRT; for Nissan trucks without the Utili-track system use model 2010-3FSR.
- 4: What is the Windstreamer Rack used for?
- The Windstreamer pick up rack is a very versatile truck rack because it can be installed or removed in minutes without any drilling. Each part of the rack can be installed anywhere along the bedrails to carry loads of varying lengths, because the rack can be easily loaded with a fork lift and because it will carry up to 400 lbs of cargo. The Windstreamer Rack is not just for carrying heavy loads, however. Its streamlined crossbar has a flat broad top surface which is ideal for gently carrying canoes, kayaks, ladders and other lighter cargo.
- 5: What is this pick up truck rack made of?
- Both the crossbars and the legs of the Windstreamer Rack are constructed of custom designed extruded aluminum tubing which contains two ribs and divides each tube into three sections. Each crossbar contains a fir spar that runs along the inside of the tube, strengthening and stiffening it. The bases and connector hardware of the rack are made of steel that is first zinc plated and then powder coated a silvery color to match the aluminum and resist rust. All threaded parts are rust resistant. Rubbery padding on the bottom of each base helps prevent scratching the trucks surface.
- 6: How does the Windstreamer pick up Rack attach to my truck and how secure is it?
- After initial assembly installation of the rack on a truck with conventional standard side bedrails will only take a few minutes. The Windstreamer attaches by employing an integrated clamping system. A clamp bottom is drawn up by means of a screw turned with an Allen wrench. This squeezes the bedrail of the truck between the clamp below and the base of the rack above. Installing the models designed for trucks with track systems will take about the same amount of time to install as those for a conventional bed truck. This rack will safely carry up to 400 lbs. of cargo when the load is evenly distributed. See the figures below.
- 7: How long does it take to mount the Windstreamer Rack on my truck?
- When one is familiar with the rack, it can be installed in about 5 minutes after initial assembly. When it arrives in its shipping box the first time, it will take longer. Please read the general and safety instructions carefully. See installation instructions at: https://www.usrack.com/instructions/windstreamer-rack-instructions.pdf
- 8: What keeps the rack from scratching my truck?
- The top of the truck bed rails, upon which the rack rests, are protected by rubbery pads on the bottom of the rack. On standard side bed trucks, the bottom side of the truck bed rail is padded by a hard rubber nub, which prevents direct contact with the clamp.
- 9: Can I use my truck rack in conjunction with a tool box?
- Yes. Since the base of the rack lies flat on the bedrail a cross-mounted or side-mounted tool box can sit on the base of the rack. In order to determine how wide a box will fit in your bed, measure the distance between the bedrails then subtract one inch from each side to account for the width of the rack within the bed. Of course, because the legs of the rack extend upward and are located at the front corners of the bed, it will be necessary to move the tool box about 4 inches toward the tailgate of the truck.
- 10: Can I use my rack with a bed liner?
- There are many different types of bed liners. Spray-on bedliners offer no obstacle in installing this truck rack. The Windstreamer can be used in any case where the bottom of the clamp can hook around the lip of the bedrail and tighten against the bottom of the bed rail. You can test this by simply putting you palms on the bedrail of your truck and seeing if you can curl your fingers around the lip of the bedrail so your finger tips go up around the lip. The newer style under-the-rail bedliners work easily with the Utility Rack because they allow access to the bottom of the bed rails. The older style over-the-rail bedliners, which were a single piece, will require that a slit or a hole be made in the bedliner. U.S. Rack offers a bedliner kit, consisting of a 2-1/2 inch hole-saw to make a hole plus 4 plastic caps to plug the holes again later, when the rack is removed.
- 11: What keeps someone from stealing the rack from my truck?
- The vast majority of people who see a Windstreamer Truck Rack on a pickup assume that this model rack is actually bolted to the bed of the truck because the integrated clamp is not very visible. However, in order to offer a higher security option for those who are concerned, U.S. Rack offers high security fasteners which include keyed button-head cap screws and a matching keyed Allen wrench. When these screws are tightened neither the clamp bottoms (for the standard side beds) nor special inserts (for trucks with track systems) can be removed.
- 12: How do I tie down cargo?
- Four tie-down eyes are provided on the four bases of the rack for use with ropes or with ratchet straps, one on each corner of the rack.
- 13: Can I load cargo on my rack with a forklift?
- Yes. Simply ensure that the front and back portion of the rack are far enough apart to allow the forks of the lift to pass between them
- 14: How long does it take to remove this pick-up rack from my truck?
- Once you are familiar with the Windstreamer Truck Rack, you can remove the rack in 5 minutes or less.
- 15: How can I store my Windstreamer Truck Rack?
- The Windstreamer Rack can be stored on two wall hangers. U.S. Rack Wall Hangers are an optional accessory that is available for purchase when purchasing a rack. They can be screwed into studs of your garage or other wall 32” apart. When hung, the rack fills a space only about 5 feet wide, 2-1/2 feet high and 1-1/2 feet deep.
- 16. What color is the Windstreamer Truck Rack?
- The Windstreamer is aluminum with bases and connectors zinc plated and powder coated a silvery color to match the legs and crossbars. Other color options are available upon request.
- 17: How will the rack be shipped and how long will it take?
- U.S. Rack usually ships in 1 to 4 days from the time you place the order, however, depending upon the season it may take longer. Ground shipping transit time within the continental U.S. usually takes 1 to 5 business days. If this will not meet your needs, give us a call us. Express processing and delivery is available on request at an additional charge. Call 888.877.2257 to request this service. U. S. Rack includes the cost of UPS shipping by ground to any point in the 48 contiguous states within the price of the product.
- 18: Can I return the rack if I don’t like it?
- Yes. If for any reason you find that your U.S. Rack product is not what you want, simply call us within 30 days of purchase to get a return authorization number. We will then arrange to pick up the product from you. If there is nothing mechanically wrong with the rack a restocking fee of 15% of the total purchase price plus round trip ground shipping will be deducted from your refund. The rack should be returned in the original box and packaged in a way to prevent damage. Damage caused by improper packaging will require repair to return the rack to a condition where is can be re-sold, and will result in a refurbishing fee. If there is a mechanical defect with the product within one year, U.S. Rack will first attempt to fix the problem by shipping you a replacement part. If there is a defect which we cannot fix by replacing components, you may request a return, and we will not charge you restocking or shipping fees. We will then credit your card or send you a check for the appropriate balance.
- 19: What are the biggest advantages of the Windstreamer Rack over competing racks?
- a. The Windstreamer Rack installs without drilling and preserves the resale value of your truck.
- b. It can be installed or removed and stored in minutes without heavy lifting
- c. It has an expandable crossbar and can fit a variety of trucks (see instructions).
- d. It saves fuel because it is light weight and you can easily take the rack off when you don’t need it.
- e. It can safely carry heavy loads of up to 400 lbs.
- f. It has aluminum crossbars and legs and plated connector elements to resist rust.
- g. It can be used in conjunction with a tool box.
- h. It can be stored in a compact space or hung on the wall.
- i. The Windstreamer Rack is a great value. Compare prices. We believe you’ll be convinced!
Product Quick Links listed Alphabetically
Product Quick Links
listed by Model Number
Features Common To Most Of Our Truck Racks
- Truck racks are easy to install or remove: In less than 10 minutes, one person can install any rack. (Overhead Ladder rack may take 2 people).
- No cutting or drilling is needed to install our truck racks: Reliable clamping systems secure each truck rack without drilling ugly holes in your truck bed rails. (The Overhead Ladder Rack may also be permanently mounted if drilling is preferred. Limited drilling required for Ladder and Canopy Racks.
- Perfect, padded fit: Adjustable span design fits most trucks....rubbery pads protect truck bed rails. (Overhead Ladder rack is built to customer specifications).
- Tough powder coat finish: Available in satin black.
- Compact storage: All truck racks disassemble easily and stores compactly anywhere. (The Overhead Ladder Rack disassembles into 3 pieces, the upper basket and 2 sets of legs).
- Warranty: U.S. Rack products are warranted for a full year. See warranty information.
- Easily order by phone:
U.S. and Canada: -
1.888.877.2257 ( 1.888.usracks )